A major part of iWireless Solutions is our team so we thought what better way to get to know us better than sharing interviews individual team members with you. Following our talk to sixth form girls at a local secondary school, we thought who better to kick off this new series of interviews than female Design Engineer, Johanna Alvarado.
Date started at iWireless Solutions: July 2015
Job title upon start: Design Technician
Current job title: Design Engineer
What is your role at iWireless Solution and how has this changed from when you started?
I started at iWireless Solutions as a Design Technician. In this role I was collating, processing and analysing information the engineers collected onsite to produce design reports which were issued on a weekly basis. I am now the engineer going onsite collecting all the data. However, I like to see a task through to the end. So, I collect the data as well as I process and analyse it in order to produce a very coherent and complete design report.
What are your top 3 lessons/skills learnt at iWireless Solutions?
- Make the most of the time during onsite visits, collecting all relevant information and asking all about the venue. All questions help to create a full picture for a design proposal.
- Prioritise the projects that require more detail.
- When producing a design report, I think what is the best way to put all the information together to help other people understand easily what the proposal is about and all technical data is included within the report.
What key projects have you worked on over the past years?
- When I first started in iWireless Solutions, I joined a project that required design reports for at least 400 retail stores for one of the biggest retailers in the UK. As part of my role, I had to gather, process and analyse the data that engineers had collected onsite producing 25 reports a week on average. This project opened the door to me in this amazing company and thus I am completely thankful for it. Nowadays, I am one of the experienced engineers with good knowledge of the project.
- Currently I work for the Corporate Projects team, and had to do an onsite survey recently for one of the biggest warehouses in the UK. I was expecting to complete and collect all the relevant data to produce my design in a day. However, the area was much bigger than first expected, and another day of survey was required. The area was about half kilometre long and 250m wide, bigger than 11 football pitches. The fact that I had the opportunity to work for this project, helped me to gain additional experience in big venues and to propose different options to make the solution cost effective.
What was your most memorable project and why?
I had the opportunity to produce a design for one of the biggest professional services network in London. This project was quite challenging because it was the first site where I worked as the design lead. The design I produced was approved and went to build. The end solution provided coverage in all the areas of the building and given all the relevant information and caveats required for variations, the solution was deployed on time and budget.
What is your best memory/anecdote of your life at iWireless Solutions to date?
I visited the Newcastle stadium with two of the most experienced engineers of the company. Whilst there we needed to go to the roof to take some measurements of the overlaid L800 remote units that are installed up there. I thought I could handle heights, until that day. Once I was on the roof and look down I froze completely, however I tried to pretend that I was fine just to not let my colleagues know how scared I was.
How has iWireless Solutions grown or changed over the years?
iWireless Solutions is a company that gives opportunities to everyone. So, since I joined I’ve seen the team grow and become stronger. We share our knowledge and experience with new starters and we work as a team. Also, there are highly experienced engineers that share their knowledge and advise us on the most challenging projects. iWireless Solutions is a competitive company with very strong background in its core business – deploying and integrating wireless systems.
What – if anything – makes iWireless Solutions special for you?
iWireless Solutions is very special for me because it has been a company which has opened the door to me and has allowed me to grow not only professionally but personally. Also, this is my first job as engineer in the UK.
Describe iWireless Solutions in 10 words or less
’strong in its field’, ‘quality of work’, ‘happy employees’.
What are your top technology trends?
I have a deep interest in understanding cellular systems. I like studying signal protocols for the 3G and 4G technologies.