This week we have the fifth of our “memories” stories from Tom Leslie, one of our Senior Project Managers. You can read his interview below.
Job title upon start: Technician
Current job title: Senior Project Manager
Question: How has your job changed from when you started at iWireless Solutions?
I was very lucky to join iWireless when I did, in the period ahead of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The amount of site radio experience gained in the first year of my career at iWireless was exceptional due to the unique situation the games provided. There were also several very experienced engineers that I was able to learn from throughout my first couple of years at the company. I was soon able to progress to a Design Engineer role and given responsibility to design new In-Building systems for several sites based on the fantastic experience I had gained so far. As the company has grown I have been able to lead larger and more complex projects and manage a team of designers. The opportunities given to me have led me to my current role as Design Project Manager where I am responsible for multiple design and testing projects and able to use my experience to guide new team members.
Question: What are your Top 3 lessons/skills learnt at iWireless Solutions?
I joined iWireless with a background in electrical and mechanical engineering which served me well but radio was an entirely new field for me.
The top skills and lessons I have learnt are:
- Site based testing – being on site collecting measurements and assessing how the environment affects the radio propagation is the best way to fully understand what’s going on. Can’t get the whole picture when you’re stuck in the office!
- Always keep a notebook handy – the seemingly insignificant notes you make on one project could be invaluable to you on a different project in several months’ time.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions (even if they seem silly!) – There are so many facets to radio engineering that you’ll never be able to remember everything. But there is usually an expert who can help you out if you look in the right places.
Question: What key projects have you worked on over the past years?
- London Olympic venues – Velodrome, Olympic Stadium, Handball, Basketball, Aquatics amongst others.
- Stadiums throughout the UK including Twickenham, Cardiff Millennium, St James Park, White Hart Lane
- SECC, The Hydro and Clyde (Armadillo) – Commonwealth Games & 4G upgrade
- A major golf event in Gleneagles in 2014
- Major Supermarket Retailer femto UK deployment
Question: What was your most memorable project and why?
The manic months ahead of the Olympic Games will be hard to forget, but more recently the major supermarket femto deployment project was a fantastic learning experience for me. I had to manage a team of survey engineers going out to hundreds of stores all over the UK. My geography knowledge of the UK has certainly improved and I also got to go to a few surveys myself. I particularly enjoyed the surveys in the highlands of Scotland. Maintaining good communication with the client and the several organisations involved in this project was crucial.
Question: What is your best memory/anecdote of your life at iWireless Solutions to date?
I was very lucky to be heavily involved in the major golf event project for a UK operator. The hard work and long days were made worthwhile when I found out an engineer was needed on site during the competition for maintenance reasons. I wasn’t a big golf fan before this project but that soon changed! It was a fantastic atmosphere and a great example of the perks of being at iWireless and involved in such prestigious projects.
Question: How has iWireless Solutions grown or changed over the years?
Some of the changes I have really been pleased about in the last couple of years have been the addition of experienced consultants who are pushing iWireless to be at the forefront of new technologies. In my own team, it is very easy to only focus on our Business as usual jobs but it’s great to see that we are expanding into emerging technologies and I’m sure as new technologies become the norm we will continue to be awarded new and interesting projects based on this work.
Question: What – if anything – makes iWireless Solutions special for you?
iWireless is special because of the opportunities it gives to young enthusiastic people who want to develop a career in the telecoms industry.
Question: Describe iWireless Solutions in 10 words or less.
Experience, enthusiasm, and ambition. Never standing still.