Having celebrated our 10th anniversary on 20th September 2016, iWireless Solutions looks at the next 10 years, what trends are forecast in the industry and how we are looking to stay ahead.
Key trends to watch
- 5G – The UK is still getting to grips with 4G as it continues to be implemented across the country but there is already talk of a 5G network. Many companies and organisations are working tirelessly to get 5G launched in the UK in 2020. It is expected that 5G download speeds could be up to 100 times faster than 4G, which is likely to change how people use their mobile devices. For iWireless Solutions, adding 5G to cellular systems requires a solid understanding of this new technology. We will also see further development of other wireless standards, LTE and Wi-Fi included. Our consultants and wireless specialists are currently supporting and actively involved with developments with the introduction of 5G and also advising our clients. This technology will certainly change and evolve iWireless Solution’s services in the not too distant future and we are all looking forward to it!
- IoT – Wireless connectivity, standards and also platforms will change the way we connect to our devices and sensors. The realisation of this technology is still in its infancy but has huge potential. Ericsson predicts that there will be 26 billion connected devices by 2020, and that IoT will generate $1.9 trillion revenue per annum globally. So you can expect to see even more ‘Smart Everything’ – homes, cities, cars, phones, watches, healthcare and highways to name just a few. This will present challenges and opportunities around asset management, data, capacity, efficient network infrastructure, interference and security. Essentially this will also put a greater strain on networks and increases the importance of reliable connectivity.
- Spectrum Use – Enormous increases in mobile traffic are predicted; sources vary but some suggest, such as Cisco, that monthly global mobile data traffic by 2020 will be 8 times greater than what it was in 2015 reaching 30.6 exabytes. We will continue to see mobile operators responding with densification and aggregation approaches in particular with small cells and innovative uses of spectrum, like Multefire/LAA/LTE-U.
- Small Cells & Capacity Offload – We’ve all become accustomed to the term “small cells” over the past few years, but expect to see a significant shift with mobile operators deploying significant numbers of carrier class, higher power, multi-technology small cells in the near future. These systems will be placed outdoor as well as indoor and specifically targeted to focus wireless services to offload capacity from the macro network and improve customer experience. iWireless Solutions has already developed innovative 3D network planning services for outdoor networks in some of the most demanding inner city locations and we expect to expand our work in this area during 2017 and beyond.
- Wi-Fi Calling – We will see improved integration of cellular and Wi-Fi, supporting features like Wi-Fi Calling and integrated authentication.
How will iWireless Solutions stay ahead of the market?
- Continue to invest in our staff, equipment and software tools.
- Invest in specific R&D and take advantage of opportunities to innovate, supporting our medium to long term strategy.
- Remain as flexible as possible and adapt to our changing client needs and expectations.
- Embrace all wireless technologies and ensure we provide effective solutions for our clients.
- Continue to address the above outlined challenges and work with existing or new clients to find approaches to solving these.
- Strengthen partnerships with vendors, partners and complementary companies.
- Continue to develop high profile marketing, PR and presence in the industry and consistently present thought leadership ideas and views.
With change being ever-present, where do we see iWireless Solutions going in the next 5-10 years?
Quite simply we anticipate that we will grow by staying close to and anticipating industry trends, staying nimble and open to new opportunities. We will continue to widen our client base – whether that is new potential partners, end clients, exploring new sectors or geographical markets.
By staying close to the market/industry and maintaining our keen customer focus, we will ensure that we deliver the most effective, efficient and future-proof solutions to meet our clients’ requirements, in line with our commitment of being vendor and technology agnostic. Fulfilling the needs of our clients is at the forefront of all of our solutions using the latest technology and high spec equipment.
The last 10 years have definitely been an interesting period in the wireless industry and everyone at iWireless Solutions is keen to embrace the technological advancements expected for the next 10 years.